Take time to be reminded why IEP’s matter. With Special Education we must keep the focus on the child who needs our help.
1. Every child deserves to have their rights protected even if they have a disability—every child matters;
2. Every child deserves to have a chance to lead a productive and independent life, to be taught life skills that will help them gain employment in the future, to have a chance to continue in post-secondary education;
3. Every child deserves to be taught based on their unique needs, not at a pre-determined pace but at their own pace;
4. Every child deserves a chance to learn how to interact with people and make friends—socialization is a big part of the curriculum and education experience;
5. Every child deserves a chance to be inspired and not feel like an outcast for being different, to find their own voice and self-advocate for themselves.